Friday, September 13, 2013

Choosing To Remember God's Mercy

When we face consequences for poor choices, there are a few reactions we can have.  We could decide that life is unfair and no one understands us and never learn from that experience and continue to make poor choices.  Or, we could decide that we made a horrible mistake and choose to learn from it and ask for help getting our feet back on the ground.  Oh what a blessing it is when we make such mistakes and receive forgiveness and help!  When that happens, we begin to understand all the more of the gift of salvation we receive through Jesus.  The psalm I am looking at today gives us examples of people who made poor choices and called to God as they faced their consequences and received His help.  Please use the link and read Psalm 107.

We can read through this particular psalm with questions about why God would allow the bad things to happen in the first place, or why He would punish people only to save them.  We can choose to become bitter and fall even further away from God; but, remember this: that is our choice, it is not what God wants for us.  One thing I know without a doubt is that we do not understand the way God works, nor should we assume we do.  He is so much greater than us that there is just no way our minds can comprehend Him or His ways.  

We could also read through this psalm and see God's incredible mercy and salvation in it.  In fact, I believe that was the author's intent; it was to encourage us and remind us that no matter what we've done or how bad things get, when we call to God we will experience His love.  I am an example of that - I know what God has done in my life!  I know that I cried to God in my difficulties, and He rescued me and healed me and brought me to a place where I can tell others of the good things He has done.  I know that even when I have experienced horrible things, He has turned them around into beauty.  One thing I know for sure; God can take anything and use it to bring us closer to Him; but we need to turn to Him to experience that.  Notice that each example given in this psalm mentions the fact that people called out to Him in their distress.

"Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for mankind, for He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things."  Psalm 107:8-9 (NIV).

"Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind, for He breaks down gates of bronze and cuts through bars of iron."  Psalm 107:15-16 (NIV).

"But He lifted the needy out of their affliction and increased their families like flocks.  The upright see and rejoice, but all the wicked shut their mouths.  Let the one who is wise heed these things and ponder the loving deeds of the Lord."  Psalm 107:42-43 (NIV).

We are reminded to praise God for the good things He has done and is continuing to do.  He loves us and cares - He just wants us to come to Him for what we need.  When we do that, He gives us what we need and we can share what He does with others and praise Him.  We are told that we are to be wise and think on the loving deeds of God.

Do you focus on the good things God has done?  Do you choose to call to Him?  Do you choose to meditate on the good things God has done in your life?

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon, I'm your neighbor on Faith Filled Friday. I make it my mission to focus on the good things God does in my life and not dwell on the trials, but try to learn from them. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim! Thank you for visiting today! Yes, our trials are something we can learn from.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Nannette! I'm glad you stopped by today.

      Delete
  3. i love verses 15-16. what a blessing to remember this psalm today:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I had to put those verses in - they spoke to me so strongly! This psalm was a blessing to me today, too.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.