Thursday, October 3, 2013

Abundant Praise

Every year, my church has a service held on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving where everyone has an opportunity to tell others of the things God has done.  It is a service that incorporates some choruses, but it is mostly filled with spontaneous testimonies told by people in the congregation of the good things they experienced from God in the last year.  It is always so encouraging to hear these testimonies because it is a reminder to all of us that God loves us and cares for us.  When we hear things like, "I prayed for God to help me and He did!" we cannot help but have our faith built up.  It brings us to an even greater desire to praise Him because we understand more and more how great He is.  The psalm I am looking at today starts with a call to worship and then ends on a personal note of God's work in the author's life.  Please use the link and read Psalm 66.

This psalm has been speaking to me in so many different ways this morning that it is hard to narrow it down for this post.  With that said, I just want to give you a few things that are on my mind because of this psalm.  The first thing we see in this psalm is a call to worship: "Shout for joy to God, all the earth!  Sing the glory of His name; make His praise glorious." (Psalm 66:1-2, NIV)  I was curious how we could make praise to Him glorious, so I looked up that verse on BlueLetterBible.com to see what I could learn.  The word translated as glorious is the Hebrew word, kä·vōde'.  This word means, "glory, honour, glorious, abundance" (see footnote 1).  The word that I noticed in the definition was the word, abundance.  This is because that is the first word used in the sub-points under the main definition.  This is such a good reminder that our praise should be abundant, meaning that it isn't only when we hear a song that moves us on Sunday morning, this praise to God should be in our hearts and on our lips in abundance.  

The author then reminds us of some of the reasons why we praise Him:  
  • "Come and see what God has done, His awesome deeds for mankind!" (verse 5)
  • "He has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping." (verse 9)
  • "Come and hear, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me." (verse 16)
The author first starts with the good things He has done for all of mankind, then he expresses what God did for Israel, and finally he tells his own story with God.  I love that statement in verse 16,"let me tell you what He has done for me."  We should all be saying that!  We should all be aware of what He has done for us and not just other people.  In fact, perhaps as we hear what God is doing in other peoples' lives, it makes more aware of similar works in our lives.  God is always doing good works and so many of them involve you, you just need to ask God to open your eyes to the good things He is doing in you.  This is what the author had to say about God's work in his life:  "I cried out to him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue...but God has surely listened and has heard my prayer."  God does listen and He does hear our prayers!  Our praise to Him should be in abundance!

How are you sharing what God has done in your life?  Do you have a heart lifting up praise to Him in abundance?

1. Hebrew Lexicon :: H3519 (NIV). Retrieved from http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H3519&t=NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.