Monday, October 28, 2013

An Unbreakable Oath

Being a parent, I have learned that something that gives our kiddos security is a promise.  It seems that they want a promise for a lot of things.  I am very cautious about making promises; however, because I take promises seriously.  It is horrible when we were anxiously awaiting the fulfillment of a promise only to see it broken and I want my kiddos to be able to trust my promises.  Because of that, I make sure that I promise something that I know I can fulfill.  Good intentions are wonderful; however, if I told my kiddos that I will do something, I need to make sure that I do it.  The problem is, I am human and I have made mistakes and promised things in the past that I thought I could fulfill but found out that I couldn't.  There is someone who will always do what He promises and we can place our hope in His promises.  Today, I want to pick up where I left off last Friday and take another look at what Hebrews tells us about our confidence in entering God's rest.  Please use the link and read Hebrews 6:9-20.

I included verses 9-12 in today's reading to help us remember where we left off last week; however, I want to mainly focus on Hebrews 6:13-20.  These verses remind us how important a promise is and we are reminded that usually someone swears an oath by someone even greater than themselves.  But, there is no one greater than our Creator; no one is greater than God.  Since that is so, God swore His promise by His own name.  The writer of Hebrews could write this fact because God has said it before.  Please read Isaiah 45:22-23 (NLT) to see what God said about His promise for salvation:
"Let all the world look to me for salvation!
For I am God; there is no other.
I have sworn by my own name;
I have spoken the truth,
and I will never go back on my word:
Every knee will bend to me,
and every tongue will confess allegiance to me."
 In these verses, we see that our hope for salvation comes from God and He swore this oath by His own name.  That is incredible!  And we also see in these verses that He tells us that He never goes back on His word.  It is the hope that we have in His promise for salvation that we are able to enter into the Most Holy Place with confidence.  Because Jesus is our high priest and He sacrificed Himself for us, we are reminded in Hebrews 6:19-20 that we enter this inner sanctuary through Him.  What an amazing promise!  What a wonderful hope to which we can confidently cling!  God will not break this promise - He doesn't break any promise.  He is who He says He is and He always does what He says He will do.  That is why we know that through Jesus we can enter His rest.

Do you believe and trust God's promise?

This post is linked with Sharing His Beauty and Inspire Me Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the idea of your words. Great post about God and His love for us but also His love for our children. Unbreakable Oath. God Bless

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.