Friday, October 25, 2013

As Long As Life Lasts

Last week I shared that I was at a Family Ministry conference in Detroit (Orange Tour) and this week I was in Atlanta for the Re:Group Conference.  Needless to say, my head is spinning with so much information - just one conference alone had enough information to fill my brain.  Two conferences within a week was a lot and when I got back from Atlanta I was exhausted.  I got back late Tuesday evening and I worked all day Wednesday.  Wednesday evening, I found myself falling asleep on the couch at 8:30 pm.  When I woke up this morning and looked at the clock, it was 7:53 am!  I honestly cannot remember the last time I slept in until 8:00 am.  All that to say, it was all great and I came back with a lot to sort through.  We were challenged at the Re:Group conference to pinpoint one or two things to focus on when returning to our churches.  That is not easy to do!  But, there is one thing I brought back that I will be chewing on for a while both in my personal life and in ministry.  While at the Re:Group conference, I had the opportunity to hear Andy Stanley share his passion for small groups and he used a phrase: the early church was one-anothering one another.  They were living their faith with one another, loving and growing together.  It doesn't sound related one bit to my current blog theme of Entering Rest; however, let's continue on in Hebrews where we started this journey.  Please use the link and read Hebrews 6:9-20.

"We are confident that you are meant for better things..." (NLT)  Don't you love that statement in verse 9?  "...better things that come with salvation." (NLT)  Salvation is definitely better, and what better things could there possibly be than the promise of entering God's presence?  I want to point out that verses 10-12 show us that it is an active faith that God wants from us.  He wants to see our love for Him lived out in the way we treat each other.  As Andy Stanley said, "one-anothering one another."  The author says in verse 11 (NLT), "Our great desire is that you will keep on loving others as long as life lasts..."  This isn't a one time deal or when we feel like it, we are to be one-anothering one another as long as life lasts.  As we have seen all this week, the book of Hebrews lays out how important our obedience is in our faith walk.  In fact, obedience is the evidence of our faith.  We now see an important part of obedience is loving one another; we are told in these verses it is essential to keep us from becoming "spiritually dull and indifferent" (verse 12, NLT).

Continuing on in Hebrews, we see it is through our obedience and endurance we will get to experience the promises God has given us.  One of the promises we looked at earlier last week is the opportunity to enter His rest (Psalm 95).  The author of Hebrews reminds us this is possible because Jesus has already gone into the Most Holy Place as our High Priest and He will lead us there.  That is our great hope we have in our salvation!  Oh how I could keep going, but I will have to leave it there for today and continue on in my next post.  Otherwise this post will be too long!

How are you doing at "one-anothering one another?"

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.