Friday, November 22, 2013

Bound in Peace

When I think of the amazing design of the human body, I am reminded of how marvelous our Creator is!  Something I am thinking about this morning are ligaments.  Ligaments are bands of tissue that connect bone to bone.  These are what hold the body together.  Ligaments can either provide elasticity to allow movement in joints (for example, the knee), or they hold bones in place (for example, the ribs).  In joints, ligaments provide both movement and stability.  Without ligaments, our bodies would not move the way we want them to move.  In fact, our body wouldn't work correctly at all!  Yesterday, I explored the idea that an important part of our faith walk includes the body of believers and how we are motivated by love.  Today, I want to look at a wonderful word-picture we are given in Ephesians about how we are bound together in the way that ligaments holds the body together.  Please use the link and read Ephesians 4:1-7.

Ephesians 4:3 (NLT) says, "Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace."  Over the last few weeks, we've seen the phrase, "make every effort" several times.  This phrase not only gives me a sense of urgency, but it also conveys the idea that it isn't easy.  I guess if it were easy we wouldn't have to put much effort into it at all.  Unity is definitely something that requires effort because it really is a lot easier to react poorly to situations than to exercise self-control.  I know from my own experience that if I am reacting immediately to a difficult situation, I will most likely find myself ashamed from my response.  However, if keeping peace is my goal and I hold my tongue, I've just given myself time to think through things and will even find error in my own thinking.  Keeping peace isn't about controlling someone else's behavior, it is about controlling our thoughts and behaviors.  The wonderful thing about peace is that the Holy Spirit is the one who empowers us with peace.

Peace is amazing and necessary in the church body.  We are told in Ephesians 4:3 that it binds us together.  The word translated as bind is the Greek word, syndesmos.  This word means "that which binds together, a band, bond of ligaments by which the members of the human body are united together." (see footnote 1).  Just as the ligaments hold the body together and allow for movement, peace does the same for the church body.  Isn't that amazing!  Peace is absolutely necessary for us to work properly as the body of Christ.  Let's make every effort to come to one another in peace.

Have you prayed for God to fill you with peace?

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday.

1. Greek Lexicon :: G4886 (NIV). Retrieved from 
http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G4886&t=NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.