Monday, November 11, 2013

Great and Precious Promises

A while back while on a diet, I learned if I focused on what I could eat rather than what I couldn't eat I was more successful.  The weeks where I had more victories in my weight loss were the weeks where I had spent time meal planning good food that was good for me.  Because I had planned out my meals, I had less hunger and cravings throughout the day and I experienced greater will-power to resist the foods that would increase my cravings.  I believe that the same practice is true for our spiritual selves; when we have a plan and focus on what God wants us to do we will be more likely to live it out in our lives.  I spent all last week on temptation and how God has promised us help when we face temptation.  He has given us each other to give us encouragement and prayer when we are facing temptation.  He has given us the Bible that is full of humans who had their own struggles with temptation and successfully ran the faith race.  And most importantly, He has given us Jesus, who died for us, and we are told to keep our eyes on Him who perfects our faith.  When we think of Jesus' sacrifice, it helps us overcome our temptation.  What wonderful gifts!  I believe when we focus on the good things God wants for us we live it out in our lives more and more each day, so I want to spend this week looking at the good God wants us to do.  Please use the link and read 2 Peter 1:3-11.

I love these verses!  They are packed with so much and I believe these verses give us a plan on how to live the life God called us to live.  I want to spend a little time looking at verses 3 and 4 because they remind us why we live a life that pleases God.  We are first reminded that God has given us everything we need to live a godly life.  I don't know about you, but I think it is such an empowering statement!  That statement in and of itself reminds me that I am not doing this on my own, I have the divine power of Christ working in me.  Look at what Romans 8:10-12 (NLT) tells us about that:
And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives you life because you have been made right with God.  The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, He will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you.  Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do.
That is some serious power we have in us - we really have been given everything we need to live a life that pleases God.  I can confidently say there is nothing more powerful than what is living in us who believe.

We are reminded that when we tap into this amazing power and live out a life of faith, we are given "great and precious promises."  Oh, how precious these promises are!  These are promises of eternal life - experiencing God's rest.  When I think of the fact that these promises are given to me through Christ even though I do not deserve them, it motivates me all the more to do the good He wants me to do.  So much has been sacrificed so I can experience these promises and I want to live up to them.  I want to live a life that is worthy of these "great and precious promises," and I have the greatest power living in me and giving me what I need to do it.  So, not only do we have the promise of life, but God even gives us what we need to live up to it.  How amazing is our God!?

Do you look forward to these "great and precious promises?"  Does it motivate you all the more to live a life that honors our great God?

This post is linked with Sharing His Beauty.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon, I love the name of your blog..."He Knows My Name" is one of my favorite worship songs! Thank you for reminding us of these promises that have been bestowed on us. I like your idea about the dieting thing too...concentrating on what we CAN have verses what we CAN'T. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.