Monday, December 23, 2013

Blessed Is She Who Believes

There is nothing like a shared experience.  For example, my church has sent several teams to Zambia and there is a common bond among the people who have gone.  Even though they haven't been on the same team, they have been through a similar experience and share an understanding with each other.  You especially notice this when a team arrives home from Zambia and everyone else who has gone in the past want to come and talk to them about their trip.  And for the person just returning, it is so refreshing to be able to share their trip with someone who understands.  As I continue to look at the events leading up to Jesus' birth I want to look at the shared experience that Elizabeth and Mary had.  Please use the link and read Luke 1:39-56.

I think this scene is absolutely amazing.  First we see that Mary rushes over to visit her relative, Elizabeth who is also pregnant.  But this pregnancy is a miracle just like Mary's.  Being single and pregnant isn't easy and then add to that the miraculous conception that you know no one else will believe!  I think it was such a blessing that God made sure she knew of Elizabeth's miraculous pregnancy.  To me, it makes perfect sense that she would hurry to Elizabeth's home where she knows that she will be understood.  And she was right.  As soon as she entered Elizabeth's home, Elizabeth greeted her with an amazing prophecy.

This prophecy is something that is really sticking out at me this morning.  "Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill His promises to her!"  (Luke 1:45, NIV).  What an amazing greeting!  And who would understand more than Elizabeth what a blessing it was that Mary believed; Zechariah was mute throughout Elizabeth's pregnancy because of his momentary lapse of belief.  The more I look at the story of Jesus' birth, the more I see how God not only looked for people of faith, but He also honored and blessed those people as they exercised their faith.  Remember, Elizabeth also understood the importance of believing God because she and Zechariah were considered righteous by God.  We have been told in Hebrews 11 that it is our faith in God that makes us righteous in God's eyes.  So, Elizabeth's greeting was one that was full of wisdom and understanding by a woman of great faith.

Blessed is she who believes...that is something I want God to speak over me.  I want to have the kind of faith that He sees.  I want to have the kind of faith that pleases Him.  I want to have the kind of faith that brings Him glory.

Do you believe?

This post is linked with Sharing His Beauty.

1 comment:

  1. I also want the kind of faith that pleases Him and he sees. Thank you for sharing this. Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.