Friday, December 6, 2013

Light of the World

I am very near-sighted, but now that I am in my 40's I am having trouble reading things too close.  It is kind of strange (and annoying) to not see anything far away, but also not to be able to see things close up.  Since I have astigmatism, I cannot correct the reading issue with cheap drug store reading glasses, the eye doctor has said the dreaded words: bifocals.  Yuck!  That will probably happen the next time I buy glasses.  The most annoying thing with my vision is that I really struggle at night.  I don't like to drive at night because the lights from other cars get a little blurry in my vision.  But, we need those car lights and street lights otherwise it would be too dangerous to drive at night.  I'd rather drive when it is light out when I don't have a problem.  True light is so much better than the artificial street and car lights.  We don't just see a portion of the road when it is lit up, in sunlight we see the road and everything around it.  Today, I want to look at another truth the Bible tells us about Jesus in relation to light:
Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”  John 8:12 (NLT)
Jesus was referring to a light that was so much greater than the light we get from the sun.  This is a light that breaks through spiritual darkness.  Spiritual darkness - the darkness of the soul that makes one feel lost, wondering if there is a point to this life.  When we are stuck in that darkness, we cannot see clearly and we feel alone even when there are people around us.  When we are in darkness, we are wandering around bumping into people hurting others and ourselves.  We need light in order to live out the lives we were created to live.

Jesus is our light.  He is the One who gives us a spiritual vision and perspective to see there is a lot more on this road than wandering around.  This light leads us to eternal life and gives us purpose.  Suddenly we become aware that there is more to this life than just ourselves; we are aware that we are not alone.  We have a Creator who loves us and has plans for us to do good things.   This great and wonderful light came into our world full of darkness so we could see there is so much more to life on this earth.  We have a hope that surpasses anything!

Are you focusing on the light?

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.