Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Beginning of New Things

This Christmas season has been an especially busy season for our family and we are really looking forward to tomorrow being the last day of school.  We are looking forward to the weekend to relax a bit and spend some time together.  With that said, I am so thankful to have time in the morning to pray and read the Bible to remember what this season is supposed to be about.  Even though the busy things we are doing are so we can celebrate the birth of Jesus, it is too easy to lose that perspective in the midst of all the activities.  We may feel to busy to stop and spend time with God, but the reality is that the busier we get, the more desperately we need to spend time with God.  I have spent some time reading through what Jesus called Himself and then spent a couple days looking at prophecy and now I want to start looking at the events leading up to Jesus' birth.  I wanted to spend a little more time on prophecy and I would encourage you to do so...I had been battling a cold that was making me move slower than normal in the morning.  While I had time to read the Bible, I had no time to write a post.  You will be blessed by looking at the prophecies spoken about Jesus; I believe they will remind you of why He came to earth as a human.  Today, let's look at the story of Mary's Aunt and Uncle found in Luke 1:5-25.

I love the introduction we receive about who Zechariah and Elizabeth were; we are told that they were righteous in God's eyes.  In Hebrews 11, we learn that we become righteous in God's eyes when we have faith.  He wants us to believe Him - not just believe in Him, but believe what He says.  He wants us to trust Him fully and completely.  So we know that Zechariah and Elizabeth had faith in God.  I stress that because later in this story, we see that Gabriel made Zechariah mute because he didn't believe what he was told about having a son.  I think there is a difference from living a consistent life of faith and having a moment where God says something that seems crazy to us.  Zechariah is commended for being righteous which means he believed God; I think he had a momentary lapse because the news seemed impossible.  But with God, all things are possible.

Zechariah and Elizabeth were old and had settled to the fact that they probably were not going to have a child.  Have you been there?  Have you had such a strong desire in your heart and finally you let it go thinking that the opportunity was past and it will never happen.  I'm sure that was where Zechariah was with the thought of having a child.  Think about how astonishing the news must have been to hear that he was going to have a son after he had finally let go of that hope.  But, God didn't stop working in him just because of his momentary lapse; instead, God gave him even stronger evidence of His work.  God knows our heart and He knows our faith.  God wants to see consistent trust so when we have a moment struggling to believe what He tells us, He has something to work with.  Let's not beat ourselves up over the momentary struggles; instead, let's do what we can to strengthen our faith.  Let's ask God to give us more faith.  Let's spend time in prayer and in the Bible to strengthen the faith we already have.

How is your faith?

This post is linked with Thought Provoking Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. That's one of my favorite stories in the Bible. Such hope there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so appreciate your encouragement this morning, Sharon. Sometimes I wonder if God is still working on something if I haven't seen him move on it lately, but yes, he always is! It's not about what I can see or not see. I do want more faith and I ask him for it.

    "Let's not beat ourselves up over the momentary struggles; instead, let's do what we can to strengthen our faith." Yes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.