Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Devastation

Devastation.  What picture comes to mind when you see that word?  I see pictures from the news of areas that have been completely destroyed by a tidal wave, hurricane, earthquake, or tornado.  When I hear the word, devastation, it gives me a feeling of lost hope.  Destruction is so wide-spread that it seems impossible to clean up and rebuild.  What about a devastation that goes beyond the physical?  I'm talking about an event or events that seem to wreck havoc on your life.  Divorce, abuse, lost job, lost home, betrayal...anything that causes you to feel utterly hopeless.  This week, I am focusing on the fact that God really can make all things new and help us rebuild our lives.  In this world, your situation may have no hope at all; however, in Jesus there is always hope.  You see, He goes beyond "fixing" things, He takes the devastation and turns it into something that reveals His glory.  That is exciting!  Please use the link and read Isaiah 61:1-4.

Let me stop for a moment and let you know that I do not talk about the hope we have in Christ lightly.  I know what it is like to go through something that causes destruction in our spirit.  I know what it is like to be in a situation that feels hopeless and that the pain will never end.  But I also know what happens when we allow Jesus to do His work in those situations.  Rebuilding doesn't mean undoing what we've been through; but when we have Christ's power working in our devastation, rebuilding means turning something horrible into something beautiful.  My life is proof of God's amazing power to heal and rebuild.  He really can take any devastation and turn it into something He can use.

When we read in these verses that He will give beauty for ashes and joy for mourning - I can tell you from experience that this is true!  But there is one thing we have to remember - we have to believe God and put our hope in Him.  We have to turn the job over to Him and let Him draw up the building plans.  We have to let go of our perceived control and let Him take over.  When we can trust Him, we will see hope in hopelessness.  In Christ, there is always hope!

Can you turn your devastation over to Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.