Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Infinitely More

Sometimes, I feel like I have to tell my kiddos "no" a lot.  It is not because I like to say the word, it is because they either ask for something that isn't good for them or they ask for something we cannot afford or do.  I actually hate telling them "no"; I wish I could always say "yes" to them.  But that's not what would be best for them.  Sometimes we tell them "no" because we actually have something better planned.  It could be something they wouldn't even think to ask for because they didn't think it was a possibility.  Or it could be something they never thought of.  Those moments are so fun!  It really is awesome to see their reaction when we tell them we are going to do something as a family they did not expect.  God does that with us, too.  There are things I have received from Him I never even thought to ask for, such as going to Zambia to serve at a music academy with our entire family.  Deep down I always thought it would be neat to go on a mission trip as a family, but I never asked.  And then to go on a mission trip seemingly tailor-made for our family was overwhelming!

As I continue on with my "Renew and Restore" theme for the next few weeks, I wanted to remind myself how God's work in us is truly amazing.  He does a work in our lives that is beyond anything we ever expected.  I love the way the NLT words Epehesians 3:20-21, "Now all glory to God, who is able, through His mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.  Glory to Him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen."  Isn't that a wonderful reminder of the work He does in us?  His mighty power working in us is able to accomplish infinitely more than we may ask or even imagine.  Whenever I read that verse my mind goes crazy!  It is hard to think that He is doing a greater work in me than what my imagination can draw.  Whatever we think we need, God knows what we need and gives that to us.  What He knows extends far beyond what we think.

Just like we as parents want to provide so much more and better things than what our children think they need or want; God provides exactly what we need beyond our thinking.  He see a greater purpose - a bigger picture.  This is because the work He is accomplishing takes His hand - only He can do what He does in our hearts.  We just need to be willing to let go of our human desires and surrender to His perfect work.

Do you believe that God wants to accomplish more in you than you can even think to ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.