Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My Strength and Song

When I am feeling drained or stressed, it is amazing how a good song can lift my spirit.  In fact, as a past music therapist I can tell you there is research showing how people have various responses to different styles of music and the most effective music to use in a music therapy session is music that the person likes.  To me, that just makes sense because I know how playing a favorite song will cheer me up and even energize me.  It becomes even more powerful when I am listening to or singing a song that I like that points me to God.  In fact singing the song elicits an even stronger reaction for me than just listening.  I'm sure you can relate.  In the music therapy world it is the difference between being a passive or an active participator with the music.  So, knowing this, imagine how excited I get when the Bible refers to music - it is speaking my language!  So, I am excited about the verses I am looking at today because they talk about music.  This week, I am focusing on how God renews our strength and how God is the source of our strength.  As I was reading this morning, I read some verses in Isaiah that I haven't read in a long time and I want to share them with you.  Please use the link and read Isaiah 12:1-3.

For the last two days, I looked at how God gives strength to the weary; specifically to those who put their hope in Him.  I want to point out the need for trust.  In order for our hope to be in Him, we need to trust and believe Him.  So, the result of our trust and hope is strength.  These verses in Isaiah 12 point us to the importance of placing our trust in Him.  When we do that we find salvation, strength, and we are filled with praise.  In fact, I believe that as we grow to trust Him more and more, the more a song of praise is in our hearts.  As that praise is in our hearts, we find our weariness fading and we experience God's strength and joy.

I mentioned earlier about being a passive or active participator in music, and our faith is the same way.  Some may view absolute trust as stepping aside and passively watching God do His thing; however, I would completely disagree.  Faith is a very active life.  It is a far more passive response in our faith to depend on ourselves and fill our life with stress.  However, it is a very active choice to trust in God and follow His direction.  Any time I have been stretched in my faith and had to completely depend on God in a new area of my life, I felt like I was actively participating in His plan.  When I quit struggling with wanting to do things myself and let God take over, I found myself filled with peace and joy and most definitely a song of praise.  This is because I got to see God work incredible things in a difficult situation.

Those who actively participate with the music therapy session will see more benefit than those who passively participate.  Don't you think our faith is the same.  When we choose to actively trust God, that is when we also get to experience His strength in a whole new way.

Are you actively participating in God's plan?  Do you trust Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.