Friday, February 14, 2014

No Greater Love

As I finish up my study on how God renews and restores our lives, I wanted to take a look at what Jesus said His expectation was for us.  In John 15:12-14 (NLT) Jesus said, "This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you.  There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.  You are my friends if you do what I command."  We are to love each other in the same way Jesus loved us.  I don't know about you, but that seems like a very tall order to me!  But when we remember that the Holy Spirit resides in us and empowers us to do the very things that God wants, we do not have to feel like we are being asked to do the impossible.  With God, all things are possible and that includes Him giving us the ability to love each other the way Christ loves us.

We are not all going to die in a literal sense for each other; however, we will have other things we die to in order to love one another.  When we love each other, we are laying down our pride and personal preferences.  We may be laying down our comfort.  We may be laying down our time.  There are so many things that we have to lay down in order to love each other, but this is what Jesus asked of us.  Jesus reminds us that this is what His friends do.

Are you doing what Jesus told all of us to do?  Are you living a life that reflects how Jesus' love has changed you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.