Friday, May 13, 2016

Background

This week, there have been a lot of things going on at work in the background irritating my already prone to pain head.  Fumes...lots of fumes!  Paint fumes, cleaning fumes, copy machine fumes, work-on-the-roof fumes.  Just one of those fumes alone was enough to set my head into distress but they were all going on at once.  And there was more!  Noise...banging from the men fixing the roof above.  Thankfully, the banging wasn't directly over my head but it was loud enough.  I already struggle with chronic migraines without these issues being a normal part of my life and this week going in to work felt like walking into a migraine incubator.

All of it got me thinking today about the fact that none of those things had anything to do with me directly, yet they created a chain-reaction of pain in me.  They were all in the background.  In fact, one of the things I did to cope was to listen to some of my favorite classical music in the background.  Background programs can slow down our computers.  A great background can make a picture look amazing.  In music, the background themes are what complete the composition and fill the sound.  The background seems insignificant, but it has an immense effect.

We have an enemy that would really like to diminish the work we are doing and one way to chip away at our work is to make us feel ineffective.  What better way to make us feel ineffective than to make us feel like a useless part of the background?  I know that struggle well!  I have most certainly been there and I have even entertained some of those thoughts this week.  How about you?  He has a sneaky way of getting those discouraging thoughts in.  Feeling insignificant or unimportant maybe?

I can guarantee that is not the truth that God has for you!  That is not what God has spoken over you.  Here is a reminder of how we all fit together according to 1 Corinthians 12:4-6 (NLT):

There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all.  There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord.  God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us.
 We can look at the work people do around us and think it is greater than what we are doing, but God doesn't look at it that way.  He just looks at it as different.  Different work done by different workers empowered by the same Spirit while serving the same God.  Really, when we think about it according to these verses it is God doing the work in us anyway.  It isn't us, it is Him.

I guess no matter how you look at it, we are all working in the background...God is the only one truly in the forefront.

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.