Friday, May 20, 2016

Broken Mailboxes

"Mom, someone drove into our mailbox."

That news would have already been annoying in and of itself when my oldest son came home from taking my daughter to an oboe lesson yesterday, but the fact that my husband and other son had just replaced it a few weeks ago brought a crazy irony to that statement.  Crazy enough to make me laugh not roll my eyes or shout or get angry.  This is because we lived through the winter with the old mailbox just barely hanging on for dear life.  I mean, that thing was seriously rusted out on the backside with holes.  When it snowed, we would open the door to the mailbox and the mail would have snow on it.  But that was only if the door to the mailbox would decide to stay shut that particular day.  It often would just fall open on its own.  When the weather finally warmed up enough to replace it, the door to the mailbox fell completely off!  This poor mailbox was in such bad shape that when my husband and son finally replaced it with a snazzy, large, waterproof, rubbermaid mailbox, the lettercarrier left us this note:
We were feeling pretty good about our new mailbox.  We put nice big numbers on it for our address and reflective tape since we live on a county road.  But, here we are a few weeks into our new mailbox with the reflective numbers and tape and that really didn't matter because a car backed into it in the middle of the day and ripped off its door.  I'm telling you, the irony truly is amazing!

Life really is full of irony isn't it?  If we can't learn to laugh at it, we would be terribly bitter people.  I say this as my husband is at this very moment getting ready to go and buy another new mailbox.  (My kids asked me if our insurance would cover the expense and I didn't feel like giving them a lesson on deductibles and what is worth claiming.)  But seriously, life has its ups and downs.  I had a few really good weeks with my migraines and now I've had a few bad weeks.  My kids have learned in school that you can have a good semester and a really difficult semester.  We can have great times and setbacks.  That is life.

But, no matter what is going on in life, there is something that we can always rely on - God's love and faithfulness.  Psalm 36:5 (NLT) says:

"Your unfailing love, O Lord, is as vast as the heavens; your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds."

God is always faithful and He loves us.  He loves us so much that He sent us His love through Jesus.  John 1:17 (NLT) says:

"For the law was given through Moses, but God’s unfailing love and faithfulness came through Jesus Christ."

And this love was expressed through Jesus' death on the cross for our sins and His victory over death in Jesus' resurrection.  Jesus had no sin, He didn't need to die for us, but His unfailing love and faithfulness for us did it for us.  That is a hope we can always cling to no matter what life throws at us.  Because we have this promise in John 3:16 (NLT):

“For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life."

Never forget that great hope we have!  God is with you and He loves you so much.

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.