Friday, May 6, 2016

The Healing Others See

Yesterday at work, I was completing a lot of tasks that had me looking down at my hands.  This had me grumbling because all I could see on my hands was the chipped nail polish on my finger nails.  I rarely ever paint my finger nails (maybe once every five or six years) because I hate chipped nail polish that much!  We ran out of nail polish remover and I had been suffering mild migraines for two evenings in a row and lacked the energy to go out to get more remover.  So, there I was looking down annoyed at my severely chipped nails, reminding me of my inconvenienced evenings and the fact that EVERYONE ELSE COULD SEE THEM!!!!  Really?  Instead of letting those nails remind me that I had gotten them painted because my husband and I were celebrating our 23rd anniversary last weekend and we had such a beautiful time together, I was worried about what others could see.

Why do I do that?  Why do I need to be concerned with what people see in me?  God has shown me time and time again that when people can see the work He is doing in me His glory is revealed.  So what holds me back from letting it all show?  Shame?  I know that shame is not from God, so the only source of that root is from either myself or the enemy.  Why would the enemy want to keep me from showing all of myself to people?

One of the things I have learned about dealing with chronic pain is the constant battle of the mind.  I have always been a very optimistic person; however, once chronic pain smacked me in the head I found myself battling a daily attitude battle.  I think this is because I get so physically tired from battling pain that I've often lost the energy it takes to tolerate some of the negative things that happen.  Just because I don't have it in me doesn't mean that God doesn't!  Putting myself in the Word daily helps that attitude.  But admitting that struggle to people also brings healing to that attitude as well.

Proverbs 3:7-8 NLT says, "Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil. Then you will have healing for your body and strength for your bones."

Instead of being focused on myself and what I can and cannot do and focus on God and His amazing holiness I will want to turn away from my sin.  I will want to turn away from my bad attitude.  Then I will find healing!  Here is another verse that gives us a promise linking the need for forgiveness and healing:

James 5:16 NLT says, "Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results."

So, we do need to be concerned with what people see in us, but in a different sense.  We need to be honest with a few close friends who will pray with us.  We need to share our struggles and our sins so we can be free of those burdens.  When we do that, God's glory is revealed to others so they can witness the healing of our burdens.  I do believe that this is also talking of physical healing, but there is a spiritual healing that takes place that is far greater than any physical healing.  And this spiritual healing speaks volumes to those that get to witness it because they see the change in you.

So, we need to turn away from ourselves and turn to God.  We do that by confessing our sins and focusing on God.

This post is linked with Tea and Word Tuesday and Thought Provoking Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true, Sharon. It resonates with me as I lived many years NOT confessing struggles with anyone - and it was years before I finally found healing. God really doesn't want us to go through stuff alone! And crying out to Him was my first step to that healing. Thank you for sharing these awesome verses and for linking up today at #TeaAndWord!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.