Sunday, September 18, 2016

We Interrupt This Life To Bring You: Rest

In a few days I have an appointment to see my neurologist to give an update of how I am doing with my chronic migraine and the change we made with my medication.  The medication I've been on had been showing signs of working for me so we made a mutual decision to slowly increase it and check in after six weeks.  But now I am wondering where we will be with that course because instead of getting better, my condition has been pretty bad.  Just this week alone, I've had a string of five days of migraine.  While my preventative medicine helps lower the pain level and my emergency medicine also lowers the pain, I am still functioning with pain and all the other annoying symptoms that come with my migraine such as tingling hands, numbing face, nausea, and painful skin on my neck and shoulders.

The other day it caught up with me and I was physically and emotionally tired.  I was sick and tired of feeling drained and in pain and having the migraines dictate what I get to do.  I had been icing my head all evening and while it wasn't close to being my worst migraine, it was persistent and hurting a lot and had caused me to isolate myself in my room because my head couldn't handle the noise of the video game my husband and son were playing.  Soon it was time to go to bed and I lay in the dark in pain.  Oh, I was tired!  So tired, that the pain brought tears to my eyes and I realized how frustrated I felt, which brought more tears.  I think what I hate the most about the migraines is how they don't just mess up my plans but they effect my family.  More tears.

Here is the interesting thing God did with that.  Earlier that day, I read this post written by a pastor my husband used to work with at another church.  Actually, I read the post a couple of times because the prayer she wrote messed me up.  Tamar wrote how she began to pray this prayer over her life, "Lord, remove from me all false burdens placed on me by people, leaders, churches and even myself."  The reason this messed me up is because I realized how I had been burdened by false burdens of expectations from people and myself (in fact, mostly my perfectionist self) and it was time to bring some clarity to my life and just let God give me direction.  So I prayed that prayer over my life and added one little bit to the end, "...and let me be yoked to You so that I can follow Your direction for my life."  I was thinking of Matthew 11:30 (NIV) "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

I woke up the next day still with my migraine but not so frustrated and able to do some things.  Later that evening I went to church and God wasn't done with the lesson for me and had some more things to tell me through my pastor's sermon.  You see, at the end of the sermon, what verse would God have him use?  Matthew 11:29 (NIV) "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."  The sermon was about giving our emotions to God and how in that verse the rest for your souls was rest for your emotions.  It was as if God was telling me He had heard my prayer and He saw my tears and He was promising me rest as long as I kept bringing it to Him.

Look, I'm not saying that God will make life easy.  But, I have a God who cares for and loves me.  And it was a beautiful reminder that I needed to keep coming to Him, because whenever I have come to Him in the past I have found whatever I have needed.  So I place my false burdens at His feet and ask Him to place His yoke upon me because that is where I will find clarity and rest.

This post is linked with Faith Filled Friday, Faith n Friends, Fresh Market Friday, and Grace and Truth.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart Sharon. You are in my prayers dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. That is a good prayer for us today. I pray that your headaches go away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement and prayer.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to share your post with some friends who struggle with migraines. Thanks for your willingness to share your story with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing it with them; I hope it encourages them!

      Delete
  4. It is wonderful to know that the Lord walks alongside us in our burdens and will carry as much as we will allow. I'm sorry for your painful days. :( It's never easy to try to move through life with pain of any kind. Praying that your doctor will find the right solution for you that will help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biblegateway.com verse of the day is such an encouragement today:
      “Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.” -Romans 5:3-4
      I am always hoping and praying for healing; however, if I can know that God is working in me through this that is awesome too.

      Delete
  5. My mom said to me, "There's enough time each day to do everything on God's to-do list for you." I appreciate your encouragement along those lines - to refuse to take up "false burdens" - burdens placed on us by others and by our own misplaced sense of duty. May He grant us discernment to know His plans for us each day! Thank you for sharing this with us at Grace & Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon, Thank you so much for sharing this at Faith 'n Friends Link Party. I love this prayer. It's so easy to allow the necessary to take over and lose the fruitful. Oh, how I pray to stay focused on His path and His will for me along the way! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to allow the necessary (or what seems necessary) take over, isn't it? Then we quickly lose focus on what God wants for us.
      Thank you so much for visiting!

      Delete
  7. 'whenever I have come to Him in the past I have found whatever I have needed' - Beautiful testimony of your faith. Thanks for the reminder that God is always willing and ready to carry our burdens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how thankful I am for His faithfulness...it never fails.
      Thank you for visiting.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.