Sunday, October 23, 2016

We've Got This

My chronic migraine is very unpredictable and takes on a different form with each migraine.  A lot of my migraines respond decently to my medicine and allow me to function, even if there is still a bit of pain.  But every now and then I have a break through monster migraine that is so painful and has so many other symptoms that it is impossible to function.  This week, I had another one of my monster migraines that knocked me off my feet.  I had done everything right - took my medicine within the time frame needed for it to work, but it didn't work.  So I took the steroid I'm supposed to take if my medicine doesn't work and that didn't work, at least not fast enough.  I had gone in to work fully expecting to feel better soon, but instead I got even sicker and two hours later I made it home just in time for the migraine to completely take over.  But, in the two hours I was at work, I was blessed beyond words and in ways that helped me cope through the worst of the migraine.

I am on staff at a church, which means that when we see someone needs prayer we stop what we are doing and pray for them.  Some of my coworkers realized that I was having a bad migraine during that two hour period I was there, and one by one they stopped by my desk and prayed for me.  Honestly, I was so overwhelmed by their caring prayers for me even though I wasn't able to show them how much it meant to me.  But that wasn't all that happened.  That particular morning was a busy morning at the church and we had the Ladies Bible Study meeting and several other people stopping by.  A few of them came by and prayed for me and the ladies meeting in the Bible study prayed for me during their time together.

I'm not one who likes to have a lot of attention and I often push away the attention, but I was too sick to worry about that.  In fact, I look at that day and I really needed those prayers.  I know a lot of people pray for me often, but on that day I got to experience their prayers in such a loving way.  I cannot fully express how the love I experienced through so many people was exactly what I needed.  God expresses His love in so many ways and on this day He used people - the church.  But isn't that the way we should be functioning?

God made us to need each other.  He made us to love each other.  We are often experiencing Him through our love and care for each other.
Galatians 6:2, 9-10 (NIV) says, "Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ...Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."
I John 4:11-12 (NIV) says, "Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us."
 We are told to carry each other's burdens and do good to one another because doing these things with and for each other is an expression of God's love in us.  And, I can personally testify that through the love of so many people, I experienced another expression of God's love to me.  It was like God used the church to say to me, "We've got this."

So, let us continue to look for opportunities to be an expression of God's love to the people around us.  After all, it is an expression of God's love working in us.

How can you show God's love to others?

1 comment:

  1. Great lesson learned! Praise God for His love, including that which He pours out through His children!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I love hearing your feedback.